- V4 mini-ITX Expansion board - specs, registration -
Hi Team Amiga!
This is the formal thread for the V4 mini-ITX Expansion Board that my team and I are currently developing for the Apollo V4. Note that this is currently a personal project that is being developed by our company in New Zealand.
Note that there is no timeline for completion - we are progressing the board in between our other projects. This board has been in development since May, and I expect it to be available early next year. I am satisfied that we have now ticked off all off the critical feature tests, and so we have been pre-purchasing key components (for those that aren't aware there is an electronics component crisis at present) and are committing ourselves to production. Please visit this post for status updates (further below in the post).
I have had a desire to produce a premium expansion board for the incredible Apollo V4, to expose extra ports and functionality for those who want to invest more in their beloved pride-and-joy.
Key functionality includes:
- 16-bit high-quality analogue audio output (for all audio: PAULA and ARNE)
- Buffered serial UART in/out for FTDI cable (serial.device)
- RS232 in/out (limited to RX/TX lines) (serial.device)
- MIDI in/out (serial.device; using beat-buddy format connector due to space constraints)
- Mini-ITX form factor, for install into any Mini-ITX compatible case
- Smart power/reset for integration with standard ITX front-panel case buttons and LEDs (power LED, or Power LLED+HDD LEDs)
- Pass-through of analogue audio out to case 3.5 mm audio jack
- 12V input from standard barrel jack supply (external) or standard Molex connector (internal)
- Provision of SAFE +5 and +12 Molex connector for powering other components like HDDs and CD-ROMs for the V4
- Internal USB headers for connecting the V4 USB keyboard/mouse ports to the ITX-case USB ports
- Exposure of 9-pin Amiga keyboard/mouse ports to the rear ITX I/O panel
- Internal mounting of USB blaster with USB mini socket on the rear ITX panel, for easy FPGA programming
- Exposure of 2nd USB gamepad via internal USB header (compatible with both V4 and V4+, providing 2nd gamepad for the original V4)
- Internal programming header for on-board microprocessor
- Expansion header for possibly future add-ons (none confirmed at this stage, TBC)
The V4 mounts on top of the mini-ITX expansion board (170x170 mm in size), with the rear ports of the V4 exposed on top of the read I/O panel of the expansion.
Progress status (will be updated live as progress is made):
- Design concept [COMPLETED]
- Testing of serial, midi, and analogue audio [COMPELTED]
- Product specification (v1) [COMPLETED]
- Schematic design [IN PROGRESS]
- Mechanical layout and design [IN PROGRESS]
- Production of first PCB prototypes [NOT STARTED]
- Testing and revision of first PCB prototypes [NOT STARTED]
- Programming of microcontroller [NOT STARTED]
- Finalise Product specification (V2)[NOT STARTED]
- Final revision and testing [NOT STARTED]
- Production of 100x boards, documentation [NOT STARTED]
- QA, packaging, shipping [NOT STARTED]
As stated, we have already begun procurement of key components, and have 100x high-quality audio DACs delivered to us. This will be ongoing through the development phase, to ensure we have the components to manufacture to boards when testing is completed.